Polish up the kitchen. Add new cabinet door handles, replace lighting and update the faucet set. Unless the cabinets are mica, give them a fresh coat of paint. Order new doors for kitchen appliances.Homeowners who want to sell but don’t have a lot of cash to spruce up their properties might consider these tips from Bankrate.com for upgrading a property without spending a fortune.
- Tidy up the bath. Replace the toilet seat. Clean up the floor with vinyl tiles or sheet vinyl applied over the old floor. Re-grout the tub and, if the tub is dingy, add a new prefabricated tub and shower surround.
- Paint the walls.
- Add closet systems to all the bedrooms, pantry, and entry closets.
- Hire a plumber and an electrician to fix anything that is loose or that leaks.
- Clean the carpets or, if they are worn, cover them with area rugs.
- Replace ceiling lights with inexpensive but attractive fixtures.
- Refinish or repaint the front door and replace the hardware.
- Mow the lawn, edge the sidewalks, mulch all the beds and put two big planters at either side of the front door.
Source: Bankrate.com (07/14/2010)